Maybe it’s the weather or
maybe it’s just the mean Fatty McFatterson streak I’ve been on since Thanksgiving,
but it seems all I can think about the last couple of weeks is chicken wings.
I think it started when I saw a commercial for a famous wing restaurant
& my inner “Chunk” sat up and did the truffle shuffle.
I just referenced The Goonies.
That just happened.
So a couple of days ago, I bought some wings from the supermarket & then proceeded to stare at them blankly.
All I kept thinking was, “How do I make these pale little wings look awesome & delicious like the ones on t.v.?”
So I googled it.
And my recipe for Sriracha Honey-Soy Chicken Wings was born!
The recipe is actually a result of mashing like, 3 different recipes together & using what I had on hand.
Making these at home not only saved me money but it also saved me from having to put on real pants & go out in public.
Besides, if you have never tried Sriracha before, what an awesome way to be introduced to this delicious red spicy sauce 🙂
Traditional Thai sriracha is usually sweeter, more tangy, & a thinner consistency than the “red-rooster-on-the-bottle” Huy Fong Foods brand sriracha I buy & LOVE
but either one will work with this recipe.
So….totally off topic…but you might be wondering what’s up with the grainy, off-colored photos?
Well, I got so excited that I was about to make wings that I didn’t charge my big fancy camera’s battery & therefore had to take these pictures with my good ol’ point-and-shoot.
You call it unprepared.
I call it retro.
Let’s agree to disagree, shall we?
So despite me trying telling myself that chicken is healthy, wings are not usually included in that category. So in an effort to lie to myself a little more, I didn’t fry these wings before I put them into the oven. Apparently, this is a terrible offense to some but I pinky swear that you really won’t notice the difference. The sauce is so delicious, you won’t care about the missing fried chicken underneath.
To really clear my conscious of the tangy, sweet, awesomeness that I was about to consume,
I decided to lie to myself yet again & pair these delicious wings with a salad.
How did salad get in there??
Now I’m not going to give you the recipe for the salad because if I did,
it would involve directions such as:
1. Go to the supermarket.
2. Buy a salad in a bag.
3. Open the salad in a bag.
4. Eat said salad in a bag.
5. Hang head in pre-manufactured shame.
Hey, sometimes a girl has things to do & side dishes aren’t one of them.
So don’t judge me & my bag salad.
Start out with some naked (raw) wings. Naked chicken quite frankly, grosses me the heck out so I won’t show you a picture of it (you’re welcome). I try to make it more appealing by giving it a quick coating of pepper and garlic salt so as to fool myself that it is in fact, not really raw chicken. However, I take it easy on the garlic salt for this recipe because soy sauce is full of it and your blood pressure will NOT thank you one bit.
Besides, a hypertensive coma tends to take all the fun out of a delicious meal, don’t you think?
To make the sauce, you combine honey, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, sriracha, water, lime juice, lime zest & cornstarch and whisk.
You can really omit or add anything at this point, it’s up to you & your taste buds so go nuts!
While the wings are baking in the oven, simmer the sauce until it gets thick & put it off to the side.
After about 40 minutes, take wings out of oven and pour the sauce over them.
Put them back in the oven and continue baking until the sauce is bubbly and gooey.
Not sure if your wings are done cooking?
For heaven’s sake, open one up and check it
because nothing ruins delicious wings more than salmonella poisoning.
Once the wings are done, I like to roll them around in the sauce yet again before serving them to make sure I get every last drop.
We don’t waste ’round here.
There’s that sneaky little salad again…Photo-bombing my delicious chicken wing shot.
I knew it.
Bag salad ain’t nothin’ but trouble.
Wanna stir up some Chicken Wing trouble of your own?!
Get some wings and try this out yourself!
Sriracha Honey-Soy Chicken Wings
- 20-24 chicken wings and/or drumettes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Garlic salt & pepper (enough to lightly coat wings-about 1/4 tsp of each)
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- pinch of lime zest
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch plus 1/4 c water
- green onion and or cilantro (optional topping)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Line baking sheets with aluminum foil (this makes for easy clean-up!)
- 3. Place wings that have been patted dry with a paper towel in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- 4. Add garlic salt & pepper to wings and place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- 5. Bake wings for about 20 minutes on one side, flip over & bake again for another 20 minutes until wings are golden brown & just cooked through. This may take more than the 40 minutes it took me depending on your oven.
- 6. While wings are baking, combine the garlic, soy sauce, sriracha, water, honey, brown sugar, ginger, lime juice, lime zest, & cornstarch in a 2 quart pot. Whisk ingredients together & continue stirring occasionally while bringing to a boil over medium heat.
- 7. Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering until the sauce has thickened, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside.
- 8. Remove wings from oven & pour the sauce over them. Roll them around to coat evenly.
- 9. Cook wings for another 5-10 minutes @ 400 degrees until sauce is bubbling & heated through.
- 10. Remove wings from oven & roll around in the sauce one final time before serving.
- 11. Sprinkle with green onion or cilantro & enjoy!!
© Patricia's PattiCakes